BSA Alumni Award description and requirements
The BSA Alumni Award is a new award designed to encourage current Scouting volunteers to find former volunteers and alumni of the BSA's Cub Scout, Boy/Varsity Scout, Exploring, Venturing and Sea Scouting/Exploring programs and bring them back to the Scouting movement in some way. This award continues the BSA's national involvement in re-introducing Scouting to communities across America.
(information provided by the BSA Alumni Task Force)
Based on the requirements below, complete the Application for the Alumni Knot Award and submit the application to the National Alumni Task Force for approval.
All requirements must have been completed after June 1, 2009.
Applicants must be currently registered adult Scouters of the Boy Scouts of America.
All applicants must receive the approval of their local council's alumni relations committee chairperson and their council Scout executive.
Area I – Alumni Identification/Promotion (Complete any 3 of the 5 requirements in this section)
- Create and distribute a communications vehicle designed to identify unregistered alumni, that has been approved by the local council alumni committee staff advisor
- Assist in planning an alumni activity at the district, council, community, region or national level
- Make contact with at least 5 adult alumni, not currently registered with the BSA, engage them in a serious discussion about the Scouting program, provide them each with an Alumni Connection card and follow-up to see if they have visited the web site
- Make two presentations to non-Scout groups promoting the BSA, alumni membership and volunteering
- Obtain at least two scout profiles or stories, use them in local council alumni promotion and forward a copy of the profiles/stories to the national alumni office
Area II – Alumni Engagement (Complete all 4 of the requirements in this section)
- Make arrangements for at least two unregistered alumni to attend a Scout activity at the district, council, community, region or national level (must be different than those used below in this section)
- Facilitate at least two alumni becoming registered members of the BSA (must be different than those used above in this section)
- Personally solicit and obtain Friends of Scouting gifts from at least two unregistered alumni (must be different than those used above in this section)
- Recruit at least two unregistered alumni to volunteer at a district, council, community, region or national event (must be different than those used above in this section)
Area III – Personal Participation (Complete all four of the requirements below in this section)
Area IV – Personal Education (Complete any 1 of the 3 requirements in this section)
- Become an Alumni Ambassador by successfully completing the online alumni volunteer training
- Attend an alumni session at the BSA National meeting
- Attend an alumni course at the Philmont Training Center
The Award consists of a certficate and square knot; the knot emblems are controlled by the Alumni Relations folks and cannot be directly ordered/purchased through the ScoutStuff™ website.
Thanks to Jeff and the team at the BSA's Alumni Relations Service at National for their assistance and for sharing this information with all of you....it is their (and OUR) hope that as many of you go out and bring back some Scouters to our programs!